Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

A Resolve




A Resolve*
 For Every Morning of the New Year... I will this day try to live a simple sincere and serene life repelling promptly every thought of discontent, anxiety, discouragement, impurity and self-seeking cultivating cheerfulness, magnanimity, charity, and the habit of holy silence exercising economy in expenditure, carefulness in conversation diligence in appointed service, fidelity to every trust and a child-like trust in God . *From a 100-year old post card courtesy of my friend Soni Gaurano.
 This quote is very inspiring.  It was probably written by someone who thought about life so carefully.  This person longed for significance.   On the contrary, we live in a culture where we are encouraged to resolve to change our own situation in order to change the way we feel about ourselves.  

Recent polls listed the Top Ten New Year's Resolutions as follows:
1.  Spend More Time With Family and Friends
2.  Fit in Fitness
3.  Tame the Bulge
4.  Quit Smoking
5.  Enjoy Life More
6.  Quit Drinking
7.  Get Out of Debt
8.  Learn Something New
9.  Help Others
10 Get Organized

I see an obvious problem with this list; only one (#9) is not self-focused  The rest all seem selfish.

Our relationships almost always determine the way we live.  The way we relate with our God and the people around us make us either content or wanting.  Therefore if I can change the way I live so that I would love more- God, family, neighbors, those I encounter in my walk - then I believe that life can yet become significant.

Love never fails. ~ 1 Cor. 13:8a

No comments:

Post a Comment